When most individuals and families seek healthcare solutions, they turn their attention to a primary care doctor. These are doctors who care for the entire body, not just one specialized area. Most primary care physicians are able to do a variety of things like treat depression, provide care for a minor burn, and administer immunizations.
Finding the right primary care physician can make all the difference in the world. Start learning about what primary care can do for you, then research offices nearby.
What Is Primary Care?
Most people know that primary care physicians are capable of handling the common cold, pain, and the occasional flu shot. However, many primary care doctors also have a wide breadth of knowledge on other topics. For instance, primary care physicians may:
- Be able to identify certain diseases
- Offer counseling services for mental health
- Monitor your overall health to achieve weight loss goals or improved well-being
Many physicians are also educators. They teach their patients about how to best prevent chronic disease, such as limiting the intake of sugar to prevent diabetes or increasing physical activity to reduce the risk of heart attacks.
Types of Primary Care
Primary care is broken down into four distinct areas of practice.
- Family Medicine – Provides health care services for the entire family, from infants to the elderly, any age and any gender.
- Internal Medicine – Provides health care services for adults in relation to internal diseases.
- Pediatrics – Provides health care services for infants, children, and adolescents.
- Obstetrics and Gynecology (OB/GYN) – Provides health care services for women, specifically for reproductive health and family planning.
Cost of Primary Care
Typically, when choosing a new doctor, most families will examine the cost factor. Healthcare prices can be staggering, but when it comes to primary care, you are generally received low-cost, preventative health care services. By preventing disease or significant illness, you can actually cut future costs by reducing the need for extensive treatment or medication.
Another reason for the low cost of primary care is that most physicians have access to a wide range of tools, techniques, and medications to treat various conditions. From chronic health to physical injuries, the right tool for the job can make all the difference and save you money.
Here at MD 365, we offer primary care services every day for individuals and families in Shirley, NY, and the surrounding area. We do not require you to make an appointment, although you are welcome to do so if you wish. Please visit our office at your convenience!